Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mommy, Esq: In Fact As Well As in Name

Tuesday was my first day back at work - now I am officially a Mommy, Esq. It was definitely a trial by fire since Husband had to travel for work and I was going to do morning and bedtime alone.

Things That Sucked:

1. No naps. I couldn't nap when the kids did - instead I had to drive into Boston.

2. Commute. Took almost 55 mins door to desk. Today was better - only 40 mins. I drive in and before you all bemoan the state of our environment it would take even long if I took the train (the walk alone from North Station would be 20 mins).

3. Last minute work. In true Big Firm fashion I got an "emergency" client request at 4:30 pm. I still managed to get it done and go out the door by 5:10 pm but it was stressful.

4. Kids. Not being able to see them until the cranky time before bed.
Thinks That Were Good:

1. Nanny folded my laundry and ran and emptied the dishwasher.

2. Commute home - once I got on the highway it was pretty quick - probably 40 mins desk to door.

3. Not feeding Penny. Sorry, Sweet P, but I hate feeding you. Don't worry, Blogverse, I'll be discussing with her pediatrician next Friday.

4. Nanny filled out daycare sheets so I could know what the tykes were doing all day. She also took photos.

5. I talked to the nanny during afternoon nap time to make sure they were doing fine.

6. Having work to do. It was nice to feel useful - often with the kids I feel like I'm treading water.

7. Seeing work colleagues.

If you were wondering what Ned and Penny were up to - here are some photos. Apparently Ned plunged both hands in the container and cried about how cold it was. Hee! His hair is crazy spiky and super soft. But he looks like an insane asylum patient.


Bessa said...

A successful first day. Congrats. It will get easier. Well, maybe not easier, but you'll get used to it. Some days, it will run like a well-oiled machine. Other days? You get through it and laugh. Or tell your husband you want to kill him.

LauraC said...

Reading that your nanny ran and emptied the dishwasher makes me wonder why we didn't go the nanny route just for that bonus!

Congrats on your first day back!

Anonymous said...

Is that snow in the container? Max also has a little crazy fuzzy hair -- we call it his ducky hair.

Nancy said...

I was wondering how your day went :) Your new "normal" will be old hat soon and you'll just fall into a routine that works for everyone.

Definitely keep us updated on the feeding Penny thing...that doesn't sound fun!

Nicole S. said...

I think it sounds like you have adjusted really well! You should be proud of yourself - being a mommy is a HARD job and to do that and work outisde the home - that's a lot of work. You should be very proud of yourself!!

Stacey said...

Your nanny seems awesome and makes me want to have one rather than doing's so great that she had them "play" in the snow! I hope things will be less stressful, particularly when Aaron is back from his trip.

Neve said...

I thought the bucket was full of cotton balls, ha! I'm impressed either way though because she is encouraging the tykes to explore texture. It looks like you found yourself one terrific nanny, Mommy, Esq.

Mommy, Esq. said...

Snow, it is snow. And my nanny took the photos which is why they aren't quite as crisp as usual (if I can pat myself on the back).

H said...

I think Nanny did a fine job on the pictures....

Anonymous said...

We were thinking of you all day yesterday. . .glad you made it through with flying colors, but we knew you could do it!! lots of hugs and love to all of you. . .Mimi and Papa