Monday, November 23, 2009

Let Them Eat Spaghetti

After a grueling two weeks I'm back in America. One of the annoying side effects of traveling for work is that you end up spending so much more money - even when expenses are reimbursed. There is the tip here and there for taxis, the coffee that didn't seem worth submitting, and the duty free treats I picked up in an exhausted haze to say "I love you!" to Husband and the tykes. And let's not even get started on the tons of overtime we paid our nanny so Husband could get to work in the morning (when I usually have time with the kids) and to cover one night when he was getting back from a NYC business trip.


When I got Ned out of his crib Saturday morning he was whimpering and crying. I brought him downstairs and said "You have an ear infection". A few hours later it was confirmed and the poor little guy spent the day crying despite ibuprofen and antibiotics. Don't worry, he's back to his cheery self. Isn't it crazy how moms always know? I suspect Penny will get one soon since she is almost over the 3 week cold they both had.

Speaking of Penny we still haven't gotten her test results from the sleep lab (she's still on O2) but Dr. Katz, her GI specialist said her inflammation in the esophagus is down 75% and that the remaining 25% down at the bottom of her esophagus is likely reflux (not allergies). Whether that means she does have allergies and her being off soy, milk, beef, chicken, peas and peanuts was helping or if merely having her on tons of omeprazole was what improved her condition we don't know. She doesn't have to be scoped for another year so we'll probably have to keep the dietary restrictions going. By and large it isn't that hard but dairy and chicken would be nice to add to her diet. Penny was re-evaluated for Early Intervention. She may have squeaked by to qualify for "feeding" (because she takes small bites and doesn't really chew) but was automatically admitted because of a nice scary letter Dr. Katz wrote with lots of capitalized terms like Failure to Thrive and Esophageal Esophagitis. Husband weighs the kids on the Wii - they each have a "pet" Mii - Penny is about 16.5 lbs and Ned is almost 22 lbs. Husband managed to secure dose 1 for their seasonal flu and H1N1 but I was told we may not get the second dose for weeks...

Both kids are on a veggie strike (not that they ate that many to begin with) and Penny has turned into a carb fiend. Current favorite is spaghetti. Next food project is working on forks - it's not going to well and I wish we had a dog at mealtimes.

Our nanny is also going to transition them to one nap in early January. We are keeping it to 1 hour in the morning to help ease them into it. Penny prefers a morning nap, Ned an afternoon nap so it's been a little rough keeping them on the same schedule.

Consider yourselves updated! Hopefully I'll have some time to reflect over Thanksgiving about my Career and The Juggle and I'll post more about that.

7 comments:

LauraC said...

Welcome back! Know what you mean about traveling, with Jon gone nearly every week the way we break even is me working from home.

Ned looks so grown up all of a sudden in that picture! Like a little boy.

Shelley said...

Wow, your life makes me tired.....and I thought I was ALREADY tired! :-) Cute picture of the three of you!

Nicole S. said...

That pcture of you all is so sweet! I have so few pictures of me with both and even less that I like.

Hope you're getting to rest some that you are back on this side of the Atlantic. :) Play date soon?

What A Card said...

Welcome home! I hope you have a delightful, RELAXING Thanksgiving!

Stacey said...

Ironically I have a dog but he is scared of the kitchen floor so looks like he won't be any help once we transition Cameron to people food!

Chris said...

Welcome back! Yes, dogs are great for cleaning up the floor (though, when you factor in the amount of dirt and hair they leave everywhere, it's probably net negative!). We've had good luck with mixing pureed veggies into red sauce and mac and cheese and the like - K doesn't seem to notice the difference!

Gretchen said...

So very glad to see you back home!