Monday, November 29, 2010

Do You Know What A Spica Cast Is? Mommy Esq Does.

Some days just go from bad to worse. Nanny April texted at 7 am to say she was sick - just what I needed after 5 straight days with my kids and a mountain of chores/errands to do. They were awful, naturally. I finally went upstairs to put in my contacts after Josephine went down for a nap.

Then I heard crying. I thought it was Penny who had been tantrumming on and off all morning but realized it was Ned. And his cry didn't sound quite right. I run downstairs and he is lying face down next to the dining room table and unable to get up. No idea what he did - but we did learn later that it was a rotating injury so his leg must have gotten caught in something.

It was no later than 8:45 am.

I scooped him up and realize his right leg/thigh seems "off" - sort of loose. And he was crying and clutching it and wouldn't let me go. It was obvious this was no "mommy kiss" type injury. After I held him and then settled him on the couch (he crying in pain with every movement) I called Husband to drive home from work so I could take Ned to the hospital. I threw on my clothes and abandoned the thought of dressing him (but did change his diaper which was still the nighttime one).

I considered that maybe it was his femur and we should call an ambulance. Just the thought of trying to get him in a car seat and to an ER was daunting. Husband came home and I called 911. They were there within minutes and I requested a local reputable hospital. The EMT suggested that if it was the femur (and he agreed it probably was) that I should go into Boston. Then he said we should medivak him out - as in a helicopter.

Poor Ned, an ambulance and helicopter ride in one day that he couldn't enjoy. I went with him in both. I also did slightly lie about my weight to the helicopter guys. I figure - margin of error, right?

It was a total waste of healthcare dollars. There was no traffic going into Boston and we ended up at MGH instead of Children's which is right off the main highway. Thank God we have my insurance - Husband's requires you to pay a % of everything (with a very, very high cap). I should have pushed for just the ambulance but I did what the EMTs recommended.

We spent some time in the ER and my friend Natalie drove over from Cambridge to stay with us. No food or drink for Ned meant no food or drink for me. He did have a femur break - a spiral one - but nothing was protruding so no surgery. But he needed a spica cast which has to be put on under general anesthesia - covering from his knees up to his chest - on both legs.

We waited in the ER from about 10 am until 3:30 pm when we went into a room. On the same floor Penny spent all that time in. Ned was taken down about 4:30 for his cast and I saw him again at 6 pm. He picked the cast color himself.

It is going to be a long 5 weeks (minimum) and I will probably have to push my maternity leave out further since it is pretty obvious that Nanny April can't do this solo. Which also probably means that we'll be paying her more overtime without my receiving any income. It is wonderful that I can probably do it but it is pricey - such is the economics of parenthood.

I would much rather me complaining to Husband over a glass of wine how Ned and Penny drove me crazy and how none of the three would nap then be researching (check out this site for some useful info) how to care for spica casts.


Unknown said...

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh...what a nightmare. I suppose you spend a lot of time in the hospital being thankful that in the grand scheme of life, things could have been worse and that he'll heal quickly and probably never remember any of this, but man, what a freaking bummer. I'm sorry in SOOO many ways. Poor Ned :-(

A. said...

I am still just in shock over this - poor Neddy! Give him lots of kisses from me. Your pictures and descriptions have me tearing up over here.

Did you see that they sell a car seat for kids in spica casts made by Britax? It's beyond expensive (on sale for $445), but maybe your insurance would cover it?

Donna said...

I am so sorry to read this! How horrible for your little guy and what a terrible time of the year too. I hope the 5 weeks is it AND it goes fast.

Carrie said...

Oh poor sweet boy! He looks utterly dismayed in the last photo. I hope he's no in much pain and that these 5 weeks go by fast fast fast!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that poor Neddy Bear got hurt! I hope he heals quickly! Give him lots of hugs and kisses from me!

JRowe said...

The Duchess sends her best wishes for a speedy recovery to her friend Ned - she can't believe they were all playing together just yesterday. She would like to come and visit. (And hear all about the helicopter). Neddy Bear is such a trouper!

Nancy said...

Awwww :( Poor little guy!! That is just CRAZY. I hope he feels pretty good and pampered enough so that it goes by quickly for him. And I hope it goes by doubly fast for you!!

Amy said...

I can't even imagine. The poor kids and poor you. I can't even imagine an ambulance and a helicopter ride. I hope the time goes by fast!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

OH MY WORD - talk about perspective!

Poor Ned and poor you and Nanny April because he is going to be one very frustrated little guy :)

How are you holding up?

ABS said...

I don't know where to begin! I'm so sorry for Ned and you and the whole Esq family!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! I hope he heals quickly and that his time in that cast isn't all that bad.

The Mommy said...

I came home from tutoring last night and Kevin told me that Sarah had been tantrumming for half an hour because I was gone. I said not a word, walked over to my computer, pulled up Ned's photo and said, "Now that? That is a BAD BAD day." He shut right up.
Thinking of you guys!!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Ned's accident and resultant cast. I hope he's doing OK and not completely bored.